Sunday 21 July 2013

Another film review - The American

The American
Directed by Anton Corbijn
Written by Rowan Joffe
Based on the novel by Martin Booth

I don;t normally do film reviews, but The American - which was on last night - was so fantastic, I decided I had to make an exception. George Clooney plays an ageing hitman who goes to Italy for one last job. What follows is a haunting, meditative film with the kind of stillness one associates with Scandinavia. I really hate it when film reviews give away too much of the plot, so all I'll say is that this is an involving, emotionally taut film with excellent performances from the entire cast. One criticism - the subtitles are too small and thin to be readable. Other than that, an exceptionally well-crafted picture.

Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment