Wednesday 26 November 2014

Review - FKA Twigs

FKA Twigs
LP1

"I love another / And thus I hate myself". Those are the words with which FKA Twigs starts off her phenomenal new album, and right from the start you know this is going to be something different. It's difficult to describe her sound, but the most obvious point of reference is Prince. Just like the Purple One, Twigs' music oozes sex from every note, but without Prince's swagger. This is slow, dark music, like Burial producing Nick Cave, and on top of it all she has the dancing talent and the decidedly English phrasing of Kate Bush. But all these wild associations still don't fully describe her sound. To be honest, I don't think I can describe it. It's minimal, but layered; sweaty and claustrophobic, but with the glacial chill of Kraftwerk. And then there's her voice. FKA Twigs' voice is a unique instrument, with a sound like a human theremin. She manages to combine braggadocio, creepiness and vulnerability not only in the same song, but in the way she sings a single word. This album is like nothing I've heard before, and it's one that I know I'll be listening to a lot in the near future.

9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment