Tuesday 28 January 2014

Review - Colonia

Colonia
MMXIII

As the name might suggest, this EP was released in 2013, but it was too late to make my year-end list, so I'll review it now.

Now, I know what happens when you say the word "emo". Everyone immediately assumes you're talking about some kind of My Chemical Romance shit, and you run a mile. But that's not emo - not real emo. Real emo, '80s emo, came out of hardcore, and it was fucking intense. So when I say that Colonia's new album sounds like an emo record, I mean it sounds like what emo was back when it meant something - back in the days of Rites of Spring, for example. So it's chock full of anguished hardcore yells (like Ian MacKaye giving birth), atmospheric guitar passages and crushing riffs. Fortunately, the lyrics are much less intelligible than the old emo bands', and when you can hear them, they're in Spanish - basically, Colonia are like Rites of Spring, but better.

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment