Wednesday 7 August 2013

Review - Methmouth

Methmouth
Demo

First off, I've just heard this and's vile new single "Compelled to Hate," and I have to say I wouldn't recommend buying their music. Don;t give these hateful, compassion-deficient cunts any money. Having said that, you should definitely check out their most recent demo on Youtube. It's a proper, no-fi, punk-as-fuck recording that proves that the rumours of punk's death (that seem to have started sometime around 1978) are greatly exaggerated. It's a shame that their new single shows a complete lack of understanding, compassion or basic human decency, because this is a band that, judging by their lyrics, is actually capable of understanding nuance and excercising pity - at least, where they themselves are concerned. Pity for others is apparently not in their vocabulary. While this attitude may not make this band the kind of guys you'd want to have a pint with (especially as I'd bet my student loan they're Straight Edge) but it does make for some fucking awesome music.

Oh yeah, music that's what this blog is supposed to be about, right? Sorry, I've just spent far too much time raning and I've only just realised I haven't said a word about what these guys sound like. Let me try to rectify that. They're brutal, but not in the bassy, growly way of a band like Napalm Death - this is a hardcore abrasiveness, much more focused on treble-end distortion than earth-shaking roars. And they manage that in spades. The entire record is gloriously amateurish - from the distorted shouts (no death growls for these punks!) to the distortion that sounds less like a deliberate effect and more like the product of an album that was recorded in the red, this band have gone the true, DIY punk route and for that I applaud them. The songs are fantastic - tightly written, simple without being simplistic and angry without ever whining. Great demo. Fuck that new single though.

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment