Sunday 1 September 2013

Review - Blister Unit (part 1)

Blister Unit
Split w/ Cybearg
A Storm of Corpses and Fire demo

Blister Unit are a band I first came across back in March, when I found their second album, Christ Ape, on Bandcamp. They blew me away, and the album ended up in my top 5 albums of the year so far. After that, though, I kind of forgot about them, until yesterday evening, when I gave their Bandcamp page another look and found that they've a veritable smorgasbord of new material available. So, in the first part of a two-part post, I'm attempting to catch up on what I've missed.

Firstly, three tracks from an upcoming split with a one-man band called Cybearg, which apparently will be coming out soon. I've got to be honest - I found these three tracks a little lacklustre. There's nothing especially wrong with them, but there's nothing especially right with them either (apart from the growls which are fantastic). It's just the same, garden-variety grindcore that hundreds of other bands play just as well.I'm sure all three of these songs would absolutely slay live, but on record they just don;t have that immediacy, that sudden rush of adrenaline that Christ Ape does. Where Christ Ape grabbed you by the scruff of the neck and dragged you along in its wake, these three songs seem content to ask you politely if you;d come with them.

Rating: 4/10

Fortunately, A Storm of Corpses and Fire is a different story. It starts off just as uninspiringly as the split, but halfway through first track The Alchemist, something clicks, and they become recognisable as the band who made Christ Ape. It's not a perfect record - it's clear that this is a first demo - but it's a good one. It's fast, relentless and heavy as balls, particularly on standout track Endor Apocalypse. My one criticism would be that the samples really don;t need to be there.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment